Dwarven Explorer W.I.P Update

General / 29 October 2019

Since my first WIP update I've made quite a bit of progress on my Dwarven Explorer. I first moved onto some more backpack/prop assets such as his pickaxe, pot, sword and maps. I also did some some scratch details in elements such as his boots. Below are the final sculpts at the moment.

This was followed by re-topology. It went fairly smoothly with the only obstacles faced being his hair/beard and some of the asymetrical elements such as his leather vest. He's sitting at about 20k Tris including all backpack/prop assets. There's some room for optimization here so I may reduce this further down the line. Below are some previews of his wireframe.


Next was UV Unwrapping which thanks to a smooth retopo, didn't take long at all. I'm now currently working on his textures within Substance Painter. I've got some additions I'd like to make and gathered some feedback from friends so he's not quite final at the moment. His belt and bedroll for example are a bit too smooth at the moment. I'll likely fix this with some cracks and creases. Below are some Marmoset renders of his current look. 


I've also been torn about his hair and whether to have him bald or not. I may just end up doing a few renders of his possible hair/beard/moustache combos as they are quite a few I'm fond of. Below are some previews of my favourites.
  


Overall, I'm really happy with how it's going so far. A stylized PBR character has been on my to-do list for sometime and to have it accompanied by a whole environment is even better. My next update should be much sooner as he's very near completion so stay tuned for the possible published project.